||Japan Airlines (JAL) International Routes
<NEW> Japan ⇔ Sydney route has been added to the routes eligible for Business Class to First Class upgrade.
Tickets eligible for Upgrade
Tickets with booking classes J/C/D/X/W/Y/E*/B/H/K printed in the CLASS column of tickets.
*Ineligible for package tour.
The upgrades from Economy class to Premium Economy will be available on a permanent basis for flights taken from April 1, 2015 onward.
Tickets not eligible for Upgrade
Tickets other than above.
(Individual or group inclusive tour fares, special discounted fares, JMB award tickets or tickets subject to special provisions. )
*Certain types of fares are not eligible for upgrade irrespective of booking.
Please refer to the "JAL
International Upgrade Award Chart".
||One-way upgrade awards require one-half the mileage of round-trip
upgrade awards. Refer to the notes in the chart for some exceptions.
||Awards issued for children and infants require the same mileage
as those issued for adults.
||The required mileage would be deducted when the flight has been confirmed. For the travels via Japan, even if unable to confirm the whole journey when you apply,
the required mileage for the confirmed flight would be deducted first. If the rest of flights are confirmed by the deadline of the waiting list, the required mileage would be rearranged
with the "Required mileage for travels via Japan". "Mileage Reinstatement Service for Unused Awards" is applicable in case of cancellation of unused upgrade awards after mileage deduction.
Please refer to the "Restricted
Travel Dates for JAL International Award Tickets/Upgrade Awards".
other times the number of seats available for award travel may be limited, or may not be available.
Upgrade awards are valid only for the flight and date originally reserved. Failure to travel on the reserved flight and date will result in forfeiture of the award. For reservation change made on/before March 31, 2015 and before the original reservation flight departure time, the validity of upgrade awards will be 1 year from the date mileage is deducted (the date the award ticket is issued), provided it is within the validity of the purchased ticket.
* Reservation change will not be permitted on/after April 1, 2015.
At the time of making your reservation, you must already have purchased your ticket, which is valid for use with an upgrade award.
However, effective until March 31, 2015, we will accept upgrade* award requests that are made prior to purchasing the ticket due to various reasons upon asking you to purchase the ticket (1) within 3 days once upgrade seats are arranged, (2) before the ticketing deadline of the ticket, or (3) one day before the departure date, whichever date is earliest. Please note that before any upgrade
request, the booking class must be confirmed.
* Including upgrades to Class J with Class J-e Coupon for domestic sectors included in international flight tickets Please note that we will cancel your upgrade seats if we cannot confirm your purchase.
- At the time of making reservations, you must already have in your JMB account the total amount of mileage that is needed for the award, otherwise you cannot make a reservation.
- All flights must be confirmed in order to issue an award. Upgrade Awards for open itineraries cannot be issued. Mileage will be redeemed by the Award Reservations Desk immediately at the time all flights have been confirmed and necessary arrangements on award issuance will be started.
- Upgrades are stored electronically and will be arranged at the departure airport on the flight date. When checking in, please mention that you have already requested for an upgrade award and present your purchased ticket.
- Waitlist application may be closed in certain international flights. Priority waitlisting for JMB Award reservations will apply to JMB FLY ON status members and JAL Global Club members.
Maintaining the required mileage
As it is necessary that there is enough mileage available for award exchange at the time of award application, please confirm that there is enough valid mileage for award exchange.
Award reservations will not be accepted if there is not enough mileage in the JMB member account. Mileage accumulated in other airline companies' mileage programs (including JMB partner airlines) cannot be combined with JMB mileage in order to receive awards.
Upgrade awards are available for either round-trip or one-way travel.
All flights must be confirmed in the upgraded class of service at the time mileage redemption. When using upgrade awards, all of the restrictions and conditions of travel for the ticket purchased will apply.
The number of flight sectors allowed
A maximum of 3 flight sectors are allowed for each one-way upgrade award.
Combining upgrade awards
2 upgrade awards may not be combined for an upgrade from Economy (Y) class to First (F) class.
[Changes made on/before March 31, 2015]
< Reservation changes >
< Cancellations and refunds >
- Changes to flight number and flight date are permitted if the provided fare rule of purchased ticket allows date change, and the reservation change is completed before the departure time of the original flight reservation.
- Please note that airport office counter cannot handle these changes.
- Changes to the traveler's name, the flight sector, the class of service, reversing the direction of travel, exchange of awards and open itinerary are not permitted.
* "Mileage Reinstatement Service" for Unused Awards is applicable in case of cancellation of unused award tickets.
Members are responsible for all the mailing costs of award tickets sent to the JMB Award Reservations desk in your region.
[Changes/refunds made on/after April 1, 2015]
< Reservation changes >
Changes to upgrade award reservations are not permitted. If you wish to change your reservation, you must cancel and refund your existing upgrade reservation and then make a new upgrade reservation. Please note that the mileage reinstatement fee will not apply for the upgrade award.
< Cancellations and refunds >
If you cancel and refund your unused upgrade award, the mileage reinstatement fee will not be charged.
- Mileage cannot be reinstated if you fail to board your reserved flight.
- Mileage cannot be refunded to your account if it has already expired by the time you request to have it reinstated.
To request for Upgrade Awards, please have your airline ticket/e-ticket reciept ready and visit JAL's website, or call the JMB Center/JMB Award Ticket Reservation Desk.
Please click here for other details regarding how to request and recieve awards
"Same Day Upgrade Application at the airport for JAL International Flights" may apply. Please click here for details.
||In case of waitlisted upgrade reservations, please confirm at the time of check-in. Mileage will be redeemed and necessary arrangements for award ticket issuance will be made when the upgraded seat is confirmed.
||Waitlist application may be closed in certain international flights.
||The following Airport Passenger Taxes will be necessary on the day of departure for Upgraded tickets from Economy class to Business class since this tax amount differs according to each reservation class.
[As of January, 2014]
･British Air Passenger Duty : 81GBP*1/83GBP*2 for departure from London.
(Payment is not applicable to Upgrade from Premium Economy class to Business class.)
*1 Until March 31, 2013 (flight date)
*2 Form April 1, 2013 (flight date)
・ International Air Passenger Solidarity Tax : 36 EUR for departure from Paris.
* However, 40.56EUR will be necessary for flights departing from Paris on/afｔer April 1, 2014 on tickets issued on/after January 15, 2014.
Our standard services such as advance seat selection on upgraded classes and airport lounge access for First and Business class passengers also apply to award travel.
If connecting from other airline operated flights, the free baggage allowance for the upgraded class will not be applicable when the baggage is through checked-in at other airlines' check-in counters. To receive the upgraded class free baggage allowance service for the upgraded sector, members are required to check-in again at the transit airport counter.